Monday, August 6, 2012

What I'm Reading Monday- Emerald Atlas

It is very obvious I have been very busy these last few weeks.  I promise I will share that soon.

But for today's event!

I have been busy listening to books this past week (mostly due to a trip to Key West).  I managed to almost listen to two whole audiobooks!


First, I finished The Emerald Atlas.  I had mentioned how it was much different than the books I had been listening to prior and it took a little while to adjust and get into it.  I must say that I really enjoyed it.  I fell in love with the three children (Kate, Emma, and Michael).  I don't want to give too much away, but I was on the edge of my seat the whole second half of the book.  Their adventure at times looked as though it would not be successful.  I was relieved to know that there are two more books, the only bad thing is that I have no idea how long I will have to wait to hear them!  I think Jon even got into it slightly albeit at the very last disk and a half.

[Source]

We immediately started the next audiobook that I had brought with us for the long drive down to the Keys.  It was Airborn by Kenneth Oppel.  I had picked it because of the audiobooks I had it seemed the most Jon friendly.  I was excited because this is my first full cast audiobook!  I have mentioned how some readers aren't able to keep all of the voices sounding different and I knew that a full cast would solve that no problem.  But it did have music at the beginning and that is just something I don't think is necessary.  Jon and I made it to the 8th disk and sadly we arrived home and couldn't sit around and listen to the rest of it.  I think he really got into it because each time I turned it off to ask a question or take a little break he was itching to turn it back on.  :)  Now the only problem is how am  I going to get him to listen to the rest of it...  Oh, yea.  You might want to actually  hear about the book huh?  It is about a boy who works on an airship.  He loves his job and wants to become a sailsman.  A kink is thrown into his plans and he meets a very demanding young girl.  She turns him upside-down in her pursuit of a creature her grandfather claimed to have seen.  I have to say that I thought we had gotten to the part where they would be all clear to go, but nope!  And that is unfortunately where we had to stop. :(

I am still chugging along on this one.  I didn't have much time for reading this weekend since we spent so much time driving around in the car.  She has gotten herself into trouble- big time.  Luckily her cop boyfriend has just showed up and will hopefully set things straight... or handcuff her so she can't go off and get into more trouble.

[Source]

Silly me, since I finished Tricks last week I decided to start another book.  Yes, I already have one started (see above) and I insist that I must have a hardback book in addition to my audio and iphone books.  Crazy I know.  I have not gotten very far in Mysterious Skin but so far I am intrigued.  It seems to focus on a few different kids that may or may not be living in the same town.  There is molestation, playgirl magazines, and strippers.  I am not exactly sure the point of the story yet (since I can't remember reading the synopsis).  I'll let you  know more when I learn more.

As for reading, that is all for the week.  As for everything else, that will come later.

Hoping everyone a good week.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am so glad you are liking my recommendations. Airborn is one of my favorite audiobooks. I know you don't like the music, but I just love the dramaticness of the full cast and music for the Matt Cruse series. But that is just me and I am bias. I also love that Jon listened to them too. You'll have to let him know how it ends.

    See you on Wednesday and happy reading/listening! :)

    ReplyDelete