Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Ducks have (FINALLY) Moved In!

So this is what my old office looked like.  Yes, I have a bit of a duck collection.  And no, I did not buy all of them myself.  It started with one that I had gotten from homecoming in 2004.  It was in my car along with a few others that I had aquired over the next few years.

Fast forward to my year teaching.  In Kindergarten all of the teachers had a different animal theme to set them apart from each other and to help the kids.  One of the other teachers already had pandas, so I couldn't go with that.  I had a difficult time coming up with something until I remembered the ducks in my car and decided why not?  It could be cute.

My collection grew that year as the kids would bring in ducks to be put up in the classroom.  It was fun and I now have two duck rugs too.  My career of teaching came to a crashing end due to a bastard of a principal that didn't renew my contract and didn't bother to try to find me a position at another school.  So I had to find another job.

Lucky for me my former boss knew of a job opening and told me about it.  I was the chosen applicant and the ducks came with me.  I didn't have near as many when I started but as my co-workers learned of my collection they starting picking up ones for me.  I moved to a new office and had more overhead space and the picture above is what I had right before we moved to our new location.

The idea of moving did not leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.  We were getting smaller desks with only one small overhead.  I knew that a probably wasn't going to be allowed to have my ducks proudly displayed on the overhead.

And I was right.  So I moved everything else into my new space and my ducks home (for the time being of course... I had a plan).  Kinda cramped but I knew my ducks had to come back.  I mean my co-workers were asking when they would be back for heavens sake!  My plan was to buy a bookshelf type thing to place on the left side of my desk.  I wasn't really using that space effectively anyway.


I searched and searched.  Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Staples, JoAnn's, Michaels - they all had NOTHING.  I was getting upset and realizing that I might have to actually design and build it myself.  Not exactly in my wheelhouse but I would do it.

I was doing just that two Sunday nights ago when I was supposed to be going to sleep.  I realized enough was enough and drowned my thinking out with music.

That following Tuesday I was on my way home when I realized that Jon wouldn't be home until really late so I could check a few other places.  Big Lots was a bust but there was a second hand furniture store next door.  I was worried of the prices, however I went in anyway.

Oh my goodness that place was unorganized.  It almost caused me to walk right back out.  I did not and I am glad I pushed through.  I walked around and around not really seeing anything the right size or shape... until I walked around one of the many makeshift corners and saw this.

It. Was. Perfect!  I immediately took a picture and texted my mom.  I know silly.  I decided the price was worth it and walked out knowing that my ducks would be coming to work with me the following day.

I spend that evening cleaning if off and practicing setting it up so I was ready for the next day.  I didn't want the surprise that they hardly fit at all.


The clean bookshelf traveled with me to work the next morning. Yes, I was just a little bit excited.

Once at work I placed it in my cubicle and it acted as a baby gate the entire morning.  I hate payroll pause days and I hated this one even more because I literally couldn't take the time to set everything up until after the pause time at noon.  It was torture.  However, being baby gated in was highly amusing to me and made the waiting okay.

I probably looked a bit crazy with all of my ducks all over my desk.  But hey, whats new?

 
Once my babies were all set up and felt a huge relief.  I didn't realize just how much work didn't feel homely to me until I got these guys back.  I finally felt that my desk was mine again.  I am at peace at work again.  I didn't even realize how much I missed that until I had it back again.

Word spread the duckies were back and I had many visitors that day.  They all couldn't believe how perfectly the bookshelf fit in the open space of the desk.  I was very proud and glad that I had the intuition to search in that furniture store.

Now I just need to get some wood blocks to raise up the back rows so that you can see them better.  The whole window thing isn't working for me.

Now I just have to decide if I want to take the time to sand and stain it a better color...

I will just enjoy it for now though.

Have a great day!!

1 comment: