Monday, September 3, 2012

What I'm Reading Monday: Out of the Sky and back on Land

I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record and that I keep ignoring my blog.  And I continue to say that I think I have a new plan to get it under control.  Well I am not going to make any promises, but I am all moved into the new office so maybe I can start working on the blog during lunch time again.

Anyhoo, on to what you really came here for today.  Books!

I have managed to read about 1/2 a chapter over the last two weeks!  Go me?  I have been much distracted by the other articles that I have had to read for the class I am sitting in on (that has been so much fun btw) that I haven't taken the time to read this book much.  Of course Maddie is trying to solve the murder herself, even though her cop bf is now with her, and I am sure will wind up in jail or with a gun pointed at her sometime soon.

I have this book for the class that I am taking, but we haven't had any assigned reading in it yet.  I do plan to read the whole book even though we are only going to be using part of it.  I have to say that the articles we have been reading for the class are really making me think how much fast food principles have engulfed all of our lives... and I am slightly scared.

I actually finished this book about two weeks ago.  I know, that is what I get for not posting in time.... or at all... Just like the other two books in this series I really enjoyed it.  I liked how it kept hinting at how they might not make it or find life in outer space.  I was just as worried as the characters when their lifeline home was destroyed.  I couldn't fathom how they would make it without damaging their craft or themselves.  I loved how Kate always managed to turn the situation in her favor - no matter what was going on.  I think that Jon even enjoyed this last book too.  I would really love a final book to share how each of the different characters from each of the books was getting on.  Not necessarily an adventure for Matt but more of a "where are they now" situation.

Jon got on me about not reading my birthday gift, so I finally got back into Fables.  I have all of the books now (up through 17) and even thought I am about a 1/3 of the way through 14, I am already worrying about catching up and then having to wait forever for 18 to come out.  I know silly since I have the Cinderella books and the Fairest issues to hopefully keep me busy for a little longer.  This book starts after the defeat of yet another threat to the Fables and the continued threat of the Dark Man.  The Dark Man really freaking creeps me out.  Not only does he look weird, he eats peoples teeth so that he can make them do things!  GROSS.  There are dangerous Fables loose in the Business Office and seeking revenge for time spent locked up.  Oh My!

[Source]

After finishing Starclimber I started on White Cat by Holly Black.  It took me a while to get used to having only one reader again since the last three books had a full cast.  It was read by Jesse  Eisenberg.  At first I was not sure about him since his reading style was completely different than StarClimber.  Eventually I acclimated to the fact that he didn't really make voices for the characters, he just read the book.  Every once and a while I would have to rewind because I wasn't sure who was saying what.  This book series is about people who are able to make people feel, think, die, or dream things just by touching them with a bare finger.  These people are called Workers and they are looked upon as bad, evil human beings unfit to sensor themselves from hurting or stealing from others.  The book focuses on Cassel who is the only non-worker in a worker family.  It follows him as he discovers things about himself and his past.  I managed to finish this up rather quickly since the length was only 6 hours or so.
[Source]

Which means I started on the second book in the series, Red Glove, again read by Jesse Eisenberg.  It continues the story of Cassel.  He is back in school and hopefully going to have a quiet senior year.  That plan is cut short when he learns of his brothers death - by murder.  The FBI and the Mob both want him to work for them... which will he choose?  I am enjoying this book as much as the first.  I am trying to put the clues together with Cassel and his friends and can't wait if my ideas line up with what happens.

Today I realized that I have only three more audio books left in my stack before I run out!  I'll have to beg Kellee to check out a few more for me. :)

Also, Jon is officially an uncle (shhhhh don't tell him I told you).  His nephew, William Reed, was born this morning at 12:01 am.  I think we might try to plan a trip this weekend to meet him. :)

I am so happy to have had the day off today.  I got some normal "Sunday" cleaning, laundry, dishes, and prepping for class accomplished.  Hopefully I will manage to prep a few blog posts for the week.  All I  know is that it is our girls night to go socialize, eat, and watch Project Runway.  I can't wait!!

Happy Labor Day to all, enjoy every minute of it especially since we have to go back to work tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think begging will be necessary :)
    I am so glad you posted again! And tell Jon congratulations.
    OH! I need to borrow the Fables books when you are done with them. I may just reread the whole series again next summer.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great titles here, I've been hearing about Fables for awhile now, I suppose I should check them out soon. We also have Holly Black's White Cat and Red Glove, I think. One of the GatheringBooks ladies, Iphigene reviewed the first book, if I'm not mistaken. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete