Thursday, January 26, 2012

Quilting Bug via my Memere

My Memere (my mom's mom) was always doing something wonderful.  Whether it was cooking, baking, sewing, crocheting, or being a great grandma she always was inspiring.  She was also cute when she had her little old lady green curlers in.  See here for an example.

One of the things that she did a lot of was making quilts.  I am sure all of the kids and grandkids cherish the quilts that Memere made just for them (many with her signature embroidered at the bottom).  I have several that I would like to share.

This quilt that we are currently using on the bed was the last quilt that I received from my Memere.  I can remember working with her, my Matount's, and my mom.  We were all around the quilt putting the finishing touches on.  Using yarn or embroidery floss we were adding in the little frilly things.  Sorry didn't think to take a picture of those up close but you can kinda see them on the pink part.



The second quilt I am going to share is the quilt I made for my math class in high school.  We had a project where we had to make something that was geometric.  I chose to make a quilt.  My Memere helped me to pick a pattern, pick out the fabrics, and get it all together.  It is not much bigger than a lap quilt (hey it needed to be light enough to bring to school and back).  I am very proud of that thing.  It was the last thing that my Memere really helped me make.

So, now that I am in the process of making my first quilt alone I am often thinking of my Memere.  She made I believe 100 quilts to be donated to a shelter or a hospital.  I hope that maybe one day I can do something like that.

I will have to look around to see if I have a photo of her to share...

No comments:

Post a Comment