Friday, April 20, 2012

Food Friday: Egg Things











Today I have a new recipe for you!  As you know my sister can't have very many of the common and easy breakfasty things.  My mom has been making these for her for about a year now.  Staci liked them until she got tired of them and then thanks to make she has a second option for breakfast (Oatmeal Muffins).

What I have today is Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups.  Which we call Egg Things (so much easier). 

The ingredients (this is the exact recipe as my Mom gave it to me.  I didn't follow it exactly and you don't have to either!!)

*4 ounces turkey sausage or crumbled turkey bacon (I used Publix Hot Italian Sausage.  I used about 2 links for 12 egg things)
*1/2 green bell pepper, chopped (I used red)
*1/4 onion chopped
*5 large eggs (Since we used the larger muffin tins we ended up using 10 - 11 large eggs)
*1 can (12 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained (I did not use mushrooms)
*1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced fat Cheddar cheese (I didn't use cheese either)


So now how I did mine!

Cook the sausage (My mom and I boiled ours) as you want and then cut it small enough to fit into the muffin pans. Since I bought the Publix Hot Italian Sausage there were 4 to 5 links in the package.  I cooked all of them.  However, I only put 2 or so into the 12 egg things.  I finished cutting up the left over sausages and packaged them for next time I make egg things.
It will be really nice the next time I make egg things because the meat is already cooked and prepped!


Next I cut up some tomato.  Now, I love tomato to I put probably a 1/2 of a really good sized tomato in there.  I also enjoy onions and cut up less than the tomato.  I did not pre-cook the onions because I wanted to see if they would end up staying a little crunchy after being cooked.


My mom had some broccoli that I added.  She was very sweet and pre-cooked it so that it wouldn't be to hard and chopped it up small.

So the ingredients that I added that I forgot to take pictures for!!  I also chopped up a4 bout cloves of garlic, fresh basil, red pepper, and possibly one more thing that I am forgetting...

Now would be a good idea to preheat the oven to 350. Generously coat a large non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.  We just used the spray and it worked out great.  I think the muffin cups would end up getting stuck to the egg things.
Begin placing your ingredients into the muffin cups.



I started with the sausage and stuffed them down to try to form a solid bottom.

Next I added in my onions.  As I mentioned I didn't take pictures of somethings... well that was because I had mine completely made before I realized I was an idiot and was not taking pictures.  So this is Staci's.  She doesn't like onions very much but I put in much more in mine.

The next layer was the tomatoes.  Again I put in much more than this.

Broccoli was next.  I think we had some left over squash from dinner that we put in there for her too.

This is actually a picture of my cups.  I literally filled them to the brim!
In mine I added the red peppers, chopped fresh garlic and basil.  You could have as many layers as you wanted.  Just keep in mind the more area that is filled with veggies and what not the less amount of egg is needed.


Mix 10 to 12 large eggs in a bowl.  We didn't add any extra seasonings or milk, but now would be the perfect time.  I think the next time I make them I might add a touch of hot sauce to the egg mix.  Give everything a little kick.


Evenly divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups. Be careful to avoid filling them to the very top.  I made that mistake and as the egg expanded as it cooked, some of them spilled over.  If you choose too now is the time to sprinkle the cheese on top.

Place the try in the oven and bake 20  - 30 minutes or until egg is set.  (I have a picture of them chilling in the oven but for some reason it will not load correctly).


We have learned that if the egg things are left in the tray to cool the tray is extremely hard to clean.  So we took them out right away and the muffin tray was very easy to clean.  We placed them on a cooling rack.


Aren't they just so cute!!!  They smelt and looked delicious too!!  We let them cool completely before packing them up for the freezer.


We just used tin foil and placed the egg thing inside and wrapped them up.  Then they were put into a gallon freezer bag.


I have had two so far and they both have been great!  I took them out of the freezer in the morning and left them out to thaw for a while.  I put them in the microwave for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.  Be sure to watch them so they don't burn.


You could also use them within an english muffin to make an egg sandwich kind of thing too.


A highly filling, easy to make, totally customizable, breakfast!!

3 comments:

  1. I really need to make these! I often cook eggs in the morning before work and this would save a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are soooooo good!!!! And you can make them with whatever you want inside of them. You could even have 1/2 of the pan one way and the rest another way!!

      I have to make another set next weekend since I am down to my last 5.

      Let me know how they work out for ya. :)

      Delete
  2. looks wonderful gonna try it!!! --- CKeena :)

    ReplyDelete