Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Jumping back into Taggies

As I mentioned yesterday, I actually was able to sew this weekend!  My parents friends daughter is pregnant with a little girl.  Since I have been making things my mom thought it was a great idea to just buy the material and things for me and have me make what she wanted.

What I will show today is the taggie blanket.  But some back story first.  My mom didn't want to go to JoAnn's but I pretty much made her go.  I wanted to be sure I picked something she would like.  Well, we were there forever!  At first she didn't like any of the fabrics.  She finally found one she liked but couldn't find any ribbons.  That meant a trip back to the fabrics to find something else.  This is what she finally decided on.

She liked that it was girly and didn't have any brown in it.  She apprently does not agree with me that pink and brown is very cute together.

Obviously I had to cut the fabric.  I however was a big dummy because I used the nice thick line to measure the fabric... well that starts at 1 inch so I cut the fabric shorter than I meant too.  Boo.

 All cut and right sides together!

 My mom wanted the white ribbon to break up the pink and green.  I think it was a good choice.  I lined them all up with approximations of the spacing.  I don't measure anymore, it is a pain in the butt.  Eye-balling it works just as well.

I pinned them all.  You must have the ribbon with wrong sides together so that it will be facing the right way when the fabric is turned.  The ribbon really needs to be pinned as straight as possible because they will sew crooked and that just looks weird.

All pinned and ready to sew.  I paid careful attention to which corner I wanted to leave open and sewed accordingly.

 Every time I get this far in turning my pieces I get worried the hole I left is not big enough or it will end up ripping.  This time was no different.

It worked!  As you can see the white taggies on the bottom right and left are wonky.  Not much I can do about it now but I will have to be more careful in pinning next time.

What I must learn is how to sew the opening better.  It is not as crisp and cornery like the other ones.

It was so nice to get back into sewing.  I realized how much I missed it.  And now I have enough left over fabric to make 4 more of these!!  I may have to buy more ribbon though...

No comments:

Post a Comment