Monday, May 14, 2012

What I'm Reading Monday - Lots and Lots!



So Kellee has gotten me into audiobooks now. I was able to go home this weekend and the drive went by so quickly since I was listening to an audiobook.

The one I was listening to first was What I saw and How I lied by Judy Blundell.
[source]

It focused on a family, in which the step father was back from the war (WWII) and wanted them to take a vacation to Florida. Once in Florida, the family meets up with Peter, who the daughter immediately falls in love with.

It was a bit difficult to really hear and understand the story at first. I very much like to see the words at the time they are being read. I did manage to get used to it after a chapter or two, making sure to really focus on the words being spoken. I am still not sure if I liked the voice of the reader. I talked about it with my coworker today and think it is because my Dad always used to be the one to read my sister and I the novel-type books. I think this has guided me to like male voices reading books. Overall I believe I enjoyed the story, although I did get annoyed because the lead character was blind to some obvious things. The ending wrapped it all up fairly well. I feel as though it ended as I felt it should.

In finishing up that audiobook with much more time to spare on the way home on Sunday I started my second one.  It is called Chime by Franny Billingsley.
[source]
Going from a reader how sounds American to a reader that doesn't is a little shocking and a bit to get used too.  I have now gotten used to it, and like it very much.  I find myself saying the name of the main character just because I like how it sounds.

As far as the story.  I felt it was a bit hard to get into.  To me it felt as though it started a little bit into the story.  The author did well to introduce people as you go though.  Basically the lead character, Briony, has a secret that she thinks is the cause of a lot of death and destruction around her town.  I know the secret, but I won't give it away, don't worry.  Anyway, she is worried this secret could continue to harm others.  She has made a new friend in the man-boy Eldric, who comes to live with her and her family.  I am on the 4th cd out of 8 so I have a ways to go. :)

Now remember, I also still have Anna and the French Kiss going.  I like to keep my reading options open.  :)

I am a bit over a third of the way done.  I am really enjoying it as it feels like being young again.  Although I was never young with a crush in France!  But a girl can dream. :)

Happy Monday!

PS - Tomorrow is my birthday!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I read What I Saw and How I Lied and enjoyed it, but not as much as I adored Chime. My favorite book from last year. I just loved Briony (and her name, haha!) Anna and the French Kiss is so much fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the bday wishes!! I have to say that as I am getting farther into Chime I am liking it more and more. I am going around thinking of other fun words from the story like library, muckyface, and stories. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete