Monday, May 21, 2012

What I'm Reading Monday - Chime and Cryer's Cross


I feel minorly accomplished this week as far as reading goes.  I was listening to the Chime audiobook and was able to finish it on Saturday.


I must say that it did take until about half way into the book before I was hooked.  I kept trying to think of reasons to drive my car just so that I could listen to 5, 10, or 15 more minutes.  Just like What I Saw and How I Lied the main character, Briony, was unable to identify some information about herself until long after a careful listener already got it.  I even was okay with the ending.  I hate when books end completely open ended without a firm description of where the story could potentially go next.  This book had a open ended but firm ending.  You knew where the characters would be and what they might do.  I also decided that I loved the readers voice.  To the point where I would be willing to listen to almost any book read by her. :)

I am still reading Anna and the French Kiss.

I have gotten just past half way and I am really enjoying it.  I must devote some time this week to reading it as I know that I will like it more and more as I get towards the end.  I do have a trip out of town planned so that should give me some time to read.  It also means that I will be able to listen to a whole audiobook in one day. :)  But more on that when the time comes.

The new audiobook that I have started is Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann.
[Source]
I am not far enough in it to really have an opinion (I seriously have listened to a chapter and a half).  Although it is sad that the reader is not the same as Chime... lol.  I should be about an hour and a half into it by the time I get home from work this afternoon.  Maybe I will have a chance to form an opinion then.

Happy reading!!!

8 comments:

  1. Chime is definitely on my list, but sad to say it keeps getting shoved back because of other books calling to me to be first! Glad that you liked it! I enjoyed What I Saw and How I Lied-strange tale & sad really, but well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that you must bump Chime up higher on the list. It was definately a very good book.

      Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh!!! I love that you are reading so much! I think you read more than me this week! :)
    Nice to see you tonight too!!

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaahooo!!! I beat you for once!!! Maybe I will beat you again next week with all my planned traveling! :)

      Delete
  3. It's weird, but ever since they told Lauren Myracle that her book Shine had won/been nominated for an award when REALLY they meant Chime, I have had a grudge against Chime. I shouldn't it let it bother me but I so haven't been into reading it because of that...and it doesn't sound that interesting. Maybe I'll change my mind, good to know you liked it. I like Anna and the French Kiss. Etienne (sp?) is such a great name. I would love to visit France some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is kinda weird... but to each their own! I almost stopped listening to Chime, but I am weird in that I have to finish a book because I get to curious about the ending! I am glad that I kept with it because I really really liked it by the end.

      I do love St. Clair and his character. How wonderful would it be to experience Paris with someone able to speak the language.

      Delete
  4. The audiobook for Chime is great! I completely agree about the narrator. She is superb. I need to look and see what else she has done. I'll be interested to see what you think of the Cryer's Cross audio. I read the book and liked it, but I think the creepiness of it would make for a great audiobook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is growing on me. I guess it is partly due to the complete 180 change of the readers voice since I had just finished Chime. I am almost 1/2 way now and I think I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I am worried I will be like this with all audiobooks... not really liking it until the middle.

      Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete