Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Last days in NYC - Be ready for a photo bomb!

This is my last post about our actual trip to New York.  I have one more post up my sleeve in regards to New York but it is different.  I promise.

So on our last day in New York (a Monday), we headed out to the city with Liz and Mike.  They both had to go to work so we all rode on the Subway until their respective stops.  We managed to make it to where we wanted to go just fine.  Even with a subway line change that made us get back to the street level and walk quite a few blocks before re-entering the subway for a completely different train.

Our first stop was the museum district.  We walked a little through Central Park and toured a children's playground before officially heading to the Metropolitan Museum.  Only to find out it was closed on Monday's.  Bummer.

Instead we decided to check out the Guggenheim Museum (as it was one of the required stops that Jon wanted to make anyway) and prayed it was open.  Lucky for us it was.

The ceiling of the building was quite impressive.  There were a few very famous artists work in there (like Monet and Picasso) and a lot of other works that I was not exactly impressed by.  I mean, some of them I could have done.  And if you know me, I don't draw well at all.

Afterwards we  knew we had some time to kill until we met Liz for lunch so we moseyed around Central Park.

We walked around the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir and admired the buildings on the other side of the "lake".  Jon thought this building might have been in one of the Ghost Busters movies... I have no idea because that is one of the many movies I have not seen.

Can you tell I am loving PicMonkey?

We walked on and found a bridge running over a very disgusting looking pond/waterway.  The green was so still and bright it almost looked fake.  If you looked closely though you could see turtles moving around in it.  Yuck.

We rushed over to meet Liz for lunch at a sushi place.  It was yummy.


Afterwards we went over to The High Line.  It is a park created from an old above ground train line.  It is very pretty and you get to walk through the buildings far above ground level.


They make the sidewalk run between the old rails.  You can even still see them.


I was fascinated by all of the street art around New York.  This was on a side of a building that you could very clearly see from the High Line.


This is one of the really cool buildings that Jon loved and wished he could live in.

We had to leave The High Line because we saw massive rain coming and didn't want to spend the rest of the day soaked.  We hid in a burger place and watched the New Yorkers run around in the rain.

Thankfully the rain stopped so that our walk back to the train was nice.

We packed up and prepared to leave the abode at a ungodly hour of 5am.  We made it there and found a horribly long line to check in.  Hell happened.  We finally made it to the counter and checked in.  Then we had to get at the end of the line for security.  Well the end of the line started at the beginning of the other terminals line.  So by the time we made it through and to the gate we found out that our flight was cancelled.

No explanation.  So we carted our stuff back to the line to wait to reschedule our flight.  We waited for like two hours.  Oh, and did I forget to mention that all of the other flights into Florida were cancelled that day.  When it was pretty obvious that the people in line were about to have a freak out, I started hearing strings.  Like violins.  I thought someone in line for security must be bored and is practicing (yes the line was still that long and moving that slow).  Only for the sound to multiply to a couple violins... to a while group of them!
These kids were supposed to be on their way to Disney to perform the next day.  I felt horrible that they were going to miss out on performing.  The leader thought it would be a good idea to perform in the airport for all of us others that weren't able to leave too.  I think so that at least the kids got to perform for some people.  They were really good too.

Once we finally managed to reschedule our tickets for the next day we headed back to Liz and Mikes.  On the way we had to stop at her brothers for the spare key.  Talk about being obnoxious to everyone involved!

We didn't get to have breakfast during all of the drama (I did eat a little bit because I would have gotten very angry without it).  We went to a really cute place for lunch Le Petite Cafe in Brooklyn.  It was so cute!!!  They had a rock wall waterfall.

Since we had extra day in New York we decided to head to the Met since we had missed it the day before.  I was so excited because there was an Egyptian exhibit!!!
This guy was 9 TONS!!!!
I loved checking out all of the artifacts and we even spotted a duck!

And I became part of the exhibit too. :)

Jon really liked the modern art area. This table was molded by an injection process by a 3-D printer.  It looked like broccoli to me.

This was painted with dots.  From far away it looks like a complete picture  but up close you can see the dots.

This was my favorite piece in the Modern Art area.  It was a huge curved bowl made out of tiny hexagon steel pieces.  It depended on how you looked at it, you could see yourself semi clearly or completely distorted.


My favorite section besides the Egyptian was the musical instrument exhibit.  I just wanted to reach in and touch all of the different flutes.  I wanted to play them to see how much they sounded like the one that I played all of those years.




An open holed piccolo!  I didn't know they existed!


A piccolo clarinet!  How cute is that!

The porcelain one was beautiful.  I don't think I could bring myself to play it if it was mine.

The clear one apparently was brought on hunting trips... I don't know the thought process behind bringing a glass horn on a hunting trip... but okay!
Once Jon was able to get me out of the music room we had just a handful of minute left before the museum closed.  We found a fountain of a boy holding a (you guessed it) duck.  There are ducks at the bottom too spitting out water.

After the museum we headed home to to with Liz and Mike out to dinner.  We found more unique street art on the way.

We had a view of the city from out table.  We had hoped to eat on the roof but it was too long of a wait.

We did a mini tour of Red Hook again and we missed the sign.... again.

We went to a pier and more street art.  It was much larger than this and covered the entire expanse of the building.  This was the only area really well lit in the night.

We had a clear view of the Statue of Liberty again.  That is a ferry on the water to the left.

And our night would not be complete without seeing my favorite building again. :)

We did make it out on our flight the next day.  The airport was completely different.  No crazy long line, security went quickly.   The only problem is that somehow when we got rescheduled Jon's name got screwed up in the system.  I freaked a bit but the guy that helped us was great and got it all sorted out.

Thanks for sticking around!  I will have a fun gluten-free day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment